I continue to be impressed with lentils. It really is amazing how they absorb the taste of the various ingredients and spices. Every time I make these burgers, I am sure that it will be a disaster. The kitchen reeks to high heaven of that traditional lentil stench, and the sight is just as pleasing as the smell. But, with each added ingredient, the smell starts to dissipate and the lentils merge into something much more palatable. All with the power-packed nutritional benefit that the lentil offers. Did you know that lentils help your body regulate blood sugar? They do! And they help you maintain a healthy level of cholesterol.
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Cook lentils until tender. Drain.
- Mash lentils and mix with all ingredients
- Form into burgers.
- In a skillet, cook lentil burgers with a small amount of vegetable oil or butter to avoid burning. You do NOT want to burn lentils. Very smelly.
Enjoy! I served mine with a side of rice and dipped the lentil burger in soy sauce. Delicious!